i have been craving chicken wings for a while and of course i can’t just go to Hooters and get some….so i searched and searched for paleo chicken wing recipes. of course i didn’t want to actually deep fry the chicken so i tried boiling it. i heard that if you get the chicken cooking in water first, then you can bake it at a high temperature to get some crisp to the chicken. it actually worked! after that i wanted to make sure that my wing sauce was delicious so i found this wing sauce recipe from PrimalPal. i made a couple of tweaks to this recipe though.
PS: PrimalPal also used the boiling technique….it’s genius i tell you!
ingredients for the crispy chicken:
- 2.75 lb chicken — i used all drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons of the infamous Kerrygold butter — you can use coconut oil instead.
ingredients for the wing sauce:
- 3/4 cup of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 6 tablespoons of more Kerrygold butter
- 2 tablespoons for apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons of paprika
- preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- boil chicken for about 8 minutes. you’ll know when they’re ready when the chicken turns white.
- when chicken is cooked, dry them on paper towels. continue to pat them dry until you feel that all the moisture is gone.
- melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add salt.
- on a lined and oiled baking sheet, line the chicken so they don’t touch each other.
- brush the salted, melted butter on the chicken.
- bake for 25 minutes then flip the chicken. bake for another 10 minutes. *be careful because the oven and chicken will be HOT! there will be lots of sizzling going on.
- during the last 10 minutes, place the wing sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and mix together.
- when the sauce starts to boil, lower the heat to simmer.
- when your oven beeps at you when the last 10 minutes is up, toss the chicken in the wing sauce.
the sauce is the right kind of tangy and spicy. we ate this with some sauteed spinach. it was really good. i was nervous that the bf would not like it because it would be too spicy but he liked it! it was still flavorful….move over Hooters! i can make wings too!